Saturday, February 10, 2018

1984 - Snow Storm and that very bad feeling all is not right

I dated Lee B between 1983 and 1986.

Lee and I met at college.  We were set up by a friend, and although Lee is 4 years younger than me; he looked older, and was 6 foot 5 and I loved tall guys.  Plus he was super nice.

Lee's family lived in Currituck County.  I was working as a server at a local Chinese 'fine dining' restaurant.  After I met his family, they decided I was a 'keeper' (and I felt the same way about them.  I would end up at Lee's parent's house whenever I had a free weekend, or week nights, holidays, etc.  Currituck County is very close to the Outer Banks.  It's the northern most county closest to the Virginia/NC state line.

One weekend, we went to visit his parents and his sister Lisa.  I was talking to Mom on Sunday and she stated they were calling for snow to come in and asked that I return home early, before dark.  Lee and I tried to make that promise, but for some reason we left after the snow started.  

Usually we'd go back to Rocky Mount, NC through Elizabeth City, then on to Williamston, then to Rocky Mount.  While heading back the weather was getting worse and worse and I was really starting to worry.  I was scared we'd get stuck on these country roads and who would come get us or help us out.  This was the days before cell phones.  In Eastern NC, on rural roads, if you had an accident, or couldn't get through due to weather, you were stuck.

Lee decided to drive us back through what he hoped would be better roads, conditions.  This took us close to Scotland Neck, and Hwy 97 would take us directly into Rocky Mount.  The snow was covering everything and starting to get deep.  We were on the isolated highway and there was no traffic, no houses for miles, but we were at least within 20 or 30 minutes of Rocky Mount.  We travelled slowly.

We noticed this car sitting on the side of the road, and the door was wide open which caused the interior light to be on.  Lee was driving slowly and moved to the left lane in order to pass the car.  The car door was open onto the road.  As we drove past, we noticed a single male occupant in the front seat of the car.  This man was facing forward, his arms draped over the back of the front of seat.  His eyes were open and lifeless, staring at the car headliner of the car.  It was more than obvious that this man was dead.  There was no one else around that we could see.  No car, no people, no houses.  HIs car wasn't wrecked.  I wasn't sure if someone was hiding in the back seat, or if the man stopped and started to get out and had a heart attack or what.

I'm so glad that Lee didn't stop to see what was happening.  It just felt - WRONG.  And when it feels wrong, you have to go with your instincts and keep moving.  We didn't have a lot to say on the rest of the trip home.  We just kept going, to get away from that situation.

Just one of the times I was extremely glad to see the lights of home.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment